The government assigned a new quota to car importers and they anticipate that models will be missing

What is clear is that the Government will tighten the import stocks this year. By promising the same amount of foreign currency for 2021 compared to last year and taking into account that sales growth is expected between January and December of more than 10%, due to the “blue” effect, a reduction in participation is being forced of imported cars. It is true that this will depend on the strategy of each brand since the quota is for dollars and not for units. That is, with the same amount of currency, each company can enter more or fewer units depending on the value of each model. “If we bring lower-priced vehicles, we can enter more units. If you bet on more expensive models, logically, the number of units will be less. It will depend on the strategy of each brand ”they explained in another company. Each brand will have to decide whether to bet on maintaining its market share or aiming for profitability, since with higher value cars, which are aimed at a sector with greater purchasing power, greater profit can be achieved.

The other important piece of information is that, beyond the different strategies, what is certain is that there will be a reduction in the supply of models. This is because companies will bet on concentrating the range and offering less variety of products. “If I have to import fewer units, I cannot bring two versions of one, three of another or five of another. We will have to decide which one is the best and stop importing the rest. In this case, it is the consumer who is harmed "warned another importer.

In January, only 53% of the cars sold corresponded to imported cars when two or three years ago the peak of 71% was reached . This was due to the restrictions that the government is imposing to import 0km. In fact, in January, the five best-selling models were locally produced with a large preponderance of pickups. The supply of national products is limited, so in 2021, the consumer must choose between less variety than 0km to buy. According to sources in the sector, some officials let it be known that the official purpose for this year is for the share of imported goods to approach 45% and for the remaining 55% to be national. In this way, 2021 would be the first year since the 1990s - when the market was practically closed to imports - that more 0km would be sold “made in Argentina” than imported.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *